Tuesday, April 05, 2011

SWITCH ON YOUR HOME-BASES BUSINESS

Very often I get so caught up in taking care of my clients needs, I forget to water my own seeds. If you are like me, then you are busy producing the services and selling the products of your business so you can generate an income. That is indeed a fact of life and a priority for so many of us, to ensure that we keep a roof over our heads, food on the table and sneakers on our feet. And since I already mentioned that you might be like me, you probably thoroughly enjoy working from home because you are doing what you love to do, when you want to do it and how you want to do it…how great is that!

But, at the end of the day, when it gets really quite and I can reflect on what I did that day, I get a little bit annoyed that I spent my time and effort in helping my clients manage and grow their business and neglecting my own. Yes, I selected this business and this is what I do for a living and yes, I feel good about my accomplishments in getting their office more organized or balancing their bank statement or helping them decide the best marketing approach for their business; but at the same time, shouldn’t I be working on taking my business to the next step? Shouldn’t I be looking for more ways to promote the DVD I produced or increase enrollments for the class I teach online? Shouldn’t I try to reach more people with my internet radio show? Yes, I should but time is finite even for super organized management experts like me! I’m like the old shoemaker who made beautiful shoes for his customers, but his children were barefoot. Why is that I wonder?

Don’t want to spend precious time thinking about the why; I’d rather think up how I can overcome this and move my business forward. I know without a shadow of a doubt that I should not just be working In my business, I need to be working On my business. And so should you! Here are the steps on how I’m going to do it: 1st I have made a commitment to this rule. 2nd I have put together three action items that I do weekly to grow my business: a/ blog, b/twitter, and c/ send an e-mail to potential clients that might be ready to sign on with me. 3rd I put a big note on my desk (taped it down so it doesn’t mistakenly get thrown away) that reminds me to do these things. 4th I have trained my husband to remind me of the three action items I need to do and to remind me over and over again until I get them done. 5th I allow myself to take half an hour off and enjoy doing nothing but perhaps have some ice-cream after I complete all three things.

Probably the most important way I motivate myself to do what I need to do to grow my business is to remind me of how good it feels to know that I have helped as many people as I can…and the only way I can achieve this is to reach out to as many business owners as I can….short of cloning myself, the five steps I listed above are the best I can do!

Helene – Love What You Do and Live The Life You Love!

www.thehome-office.com Follow me on twitter: homeofficemgmt

No comments: